The benefits of exercise:
30 minutes a day with an increased heart rate of 60-80% of maximal peak heart rate.
- reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- improves the body’s use of insulin
- can delay or prevent type 2 diabetes
- increases HDL cholesterol
- improves hypertension
- causes weight loss
- improves function if you have peripheral arterial disease.
- lowers the risk of certain cancers including breast cancer
- reduces anxiety and depression
- reduces constipation
- reduces osteoporosis
- helps to improve post-menopausal symptoms
Current research suggests that “walkable” neighborhoods can decrease obesity and the incidence of diabetes. Let’s start walking!
If you have complications of diabetes speak to your diabetes physician before you begin to exercise.